Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Moved into the Orphanage Yesterday

This orphanage basically provides a family for the girls. There is a woman that lives here with them (Madhu, or "big dede"), and they have a "mentor mother" that visits every day. They eat and sleep and play here, and go to school at the local public school.

These 10 girls are great. We moved in yesterday and by the end of the day Sara and I were already responding to "dede," which is what they call us. It's a respectful title, sort of like "big sister" or something. Basically my job here is to be an awesome, full-time big sister. I'm going to be honest, I'm nervous to get really close to these girls with only a month here. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed today.

Although I've only been here 24 hours, this experience is increasing my testimony of eternal families more than I had ever anticipated. Sara and I "tag team" everything, and I just keep thinking about how awesome it is, and how it would be even better if there was a guy here, too, to balance everything out - because I feel like that's something missing here, a father figure. They don't have a "mentor father" only a mentor mother. But maybe they don't need that because the culture is different, as many marriages are set up by the parents. Udayan Care sets up marriages for girls ready to get married, so I guess they take care of that aspect of their life?

We tried to find a guitar today, and went to two malls, and the rickshaw driver just about got lost. We had to come back empty handed. Pooja and Runi stayed home from school today, so I had to come back home without a guitar and I felt pretty stupid. I'm going to ask the mentor mother if there is a local specialty music shop so we don't have to wander around anymore. Honestly, I feel like a chicken running around with my head cut off. 

3 comments:

  1. Nicole!
    I can't believe you're in India! I'm still ultra excited for you! I took a class winter semester about Pakistan, and if you're going to learn about Pakistan it's necessary to learn about India. When I heard you were going to India, I was thinking you get to experience the people I learned about first hand! It's so awesome. I learned so much, but you can only learn so much on this side of the pond. :) I'm sure this is going to be SUCH a great experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't say I agree with arranged marriages. You should teach them your music skills, maybe they will learn quicker then I do. That's awesome you get to play big sister. Keep working hard and enjoying India!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea of "arranged marriage" is different than what it's like in India. They date and court still, their parents just introduce them. It's basically just their parents setting them up, which is not that different from your culture.

    ReplyDelete