Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Greetings from Jaipur!

Sara and I are in Jaipur right now! Wow, we have had an amazing time!! We've finished our work at the orphanage, and after our 3 day holiday here in Jaipur I will move back to New Delhi and start my work at Udayan Care headquarters for the remainder of my stay in India. By transferring to NGO's headquarters, I will be able to get a feel for the administrative aspect of social work. I'm pretty excited to try that out!

Well, we have had a fabulous time in Jaipur so far. We took a four hour train ride here, which was pretty nice. When we got to the train station we had some trouble finding our taxi driver.. but we sorted it out eventually. Not after being asked by like 15 people if we needed a richshaw. We felt a little overwhelmed. Just a little.

I was feeling skeptical about the hotel, but when we got there I fell in love! I felt like I was in America again. After two weeks living with locals, it was nice to feel like I was home. Air conditioning, toilet paper, and TV in English are amenities I welcome with open arms!

After hanging out for a bit, we left for our first sight-seeing. First we saw some fancy building, but didn't really want to pay a guide to explain it all. Then we went to the King's palace. It was amazing! And SO beautiful! Our favorite part was looking at all the weapons they had on display. How cool! They have back-scratchers that convert into knifes, and lighters from 200 years ago. Also, there were loads of knives that doubled as guns. So cool!!

We went back to the room and relaxed for a while, and then we went to Chauki Dhani. OH MY GOSH! It was amazing. We had some troubles finding where the buffet was.. but we rode a camel! The camel symbolizes love, I found out. And it is now my new favorite animal. AH! I want to go on a journey in the desert on a camel. Oh my goodness, it was awesome! Also, the food there was absolutely amazing. We ate until we physically couldn't eat anymore. Yum!

After Chauki Dhani we hopped back in our taxi and made our way to the hotel for a long-needed night's rest. This morning after we got ready we did a lot of sight-seeing. We walked around two forts, and took pictures of a palace that was half-submerged in water. Instead of getting guides, Sara and I made up stories for the sites. It was so much fun!! We came up with intricate tales involving a King Sharu, Prince Jazmeal, Princess Sapira, and the evil King Raji from the Mogul empire. Man! Today has been totally awesome.

I've decided that it's a lot easier to adjust to a culture when I have an American style home to go back to. I'm not as afraid to face the dangers of India and all the vendors that try to get me to buy EVERYTHING when I know I can go back home to place that is like the home I'm used to. Also, on an interesting note, I dyed my hair brown. Sara and I have definitely noticed a change in the locals. They stare just as much, but they don't talk to me as often. Also, they give us better deals on stuff. I like the dark hair, and this is an added bonus!




No comments:

Post a Comment