Sunday, August 14, 2011

Snuggle Pillows and Sneezes

Going to the home in Greater Noida was so awesome!! I got to take pictures and videos, and do interviews with the girls and with the volunteers there. Before I filmed the interviews, I would just chat with the girls for a little while. I got some amazing feedback! Some of the girls didn't want to say what they told me on film, but that's okay. Most of the girls really love it at the Greater Noida home, and it was so cool to hear them say, "This is not an orphanage, this is my home."

There were some other girls that gave me some awesome feedback about what they want to change at the home. I feel like that's a way I can help here at Udayan care, is sharing this feedback with Headquarters. For example, one of the girls suggested they have more than one mentor mother. Totally makes sense! They have 35 girls and only one woman that comes a few times a week to be their "mother figure." I think that is a good suggestion! There were some other suggestions that I have no control over, and some girls just seemed a little bitter about certain aspects of the home that aren't going to change. That's a shame, but you can't make someone be happy or like where they are living. They have to make that choice.

One of the girls put a henna design on my hand. It looks awesome!! She did such a good job. Although I should have packed my bags before she put i on my hand...

I felt super sick when I woke up at the Greater Noida home yesterday. My head was pounding and my sinuses were all stuffed up. I felt better when I got back to East of Kailesh yesterday evening and took a nap. But last night I came down with a fever and had crazy chills and was sneezing. I've had a few fevers since I've been in India, but this one stunk because my lovely Sara wasn't here! I was in the room alone last night. BUT the fact that she wasn't here meant I got a snuggle pillow - a concept I introduced to her in Jaipur; a pillow for your head, and  a pillow to snuggle with! But being sick isn't so bad today because I just need to edit pictures and videos today anyways. Today is India's Independence day!


No comments:

Post a Comment