Saturday, August 6, 2011

Rakhi Festival

Today was the Rakhi Festival here. During the festival girls give boys bracelets, which says they want the boys to take care of them and protect them (like in a brotherly way). ALSO, we got to eat delicious Indian sweets. It was a long festival, but it was really cool to watch. The girls also put a bindhi on the boy's foreheads, but either put a grain of rice or a piece of sugar in the middle of it (I couldn't tell which it was). Pretty interesting!

While we were waiting for our ride today, we met another social worker that works with one of the boy's homes. Our social worker, Sara, this new guy, and me all chatted for a while. The social worker told this man that I had a good voice and I played guitar, and she told me to sing everyone a song. The people here do that all the time, ask each other to sing, or just start singing. It's really fun! And Sujita tells people that she introduces me to that I have a "sweet voice." That makes me feel good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment